Vastly underrated LucasArts FPS game based on the Dark Forces engine. Released in 1998 its graphics were already somewhat dated and didn't sell very well. It is very hard to find information on the internet about this game. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has written a walkthru or hints other than the cheat codes.

The story is pretty simple: you, as retired Marshal Anderson, ride into town to get supplies and upon returning home, find it burned into the ground, your wife dead and your daughter kidnapped. All this by an evil landlord who is trying to coerce Anderson into selling his land to develop a town around the newly built railroad.

Gameplay is what is expected of an FPS: ride into a scenario (a town, a moving train, a desert canyon...) and shoot everything in sight until you get to the level boss. Upon killing said boss, you jump into a cutscene that introduces you to the next scenario. Puzzles are pretty much the kind of "find the key--open door", find more and better weapons and armor and kill almost everything.

Non scenary objects (people, dead bodies, cows, horses, chickens...) are plain flat sprites. Most of them are the kind that always show the same perspective view to you no matter where you move.

Unless you are a fan of spaghetti westerns (like me) you can pretty much pass this game by. Worthy of note is, however, the music. In the best tradition of Ennio Morricone (tho nowhere near his genius) it keeps the mood and ambiance (and it is in standard audio cd format so if you don't care for the game, you can always just fire up your cd player software).


Many thanks to sid for pointing me in the direction of a walkthru for this game: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/2963/walkthroughs.html


Also, Roninspoon did a quick search in Google and came up with this site with tons of stuff for the Outlaws fan: http://theoutlawdad.com/

Jeez, I'm begining to look like a lazyass who couldn't bother to look...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.