Painful is the 1993 album by Yo La Tengo on Matador Records. I'd say it's their best record, although many will argue, this one just strikes a chord with me. The album is very cohesive, and the subject matter tends to focus on the dissolution of a relationship, or of many relationships. I always found this odd, as the two chief songwriters, Georgia and Ira, were married at the time and still are--happily.

Songs:

  1. Big Day Coming (7:04, Slow Version)
  2. From a Motel 6
  3. Double Dare
  4. Superstar-Watcher (instrumental/samples)
  5. Nowhere Near
  6. Sudden Organ
  7. A Worrying Thing
  8. I Was The Fool Beside You For Too Long
  9. The Whole of the Law
  10. Big Day Coming (4:14, fast/noisy version)
  11. I Heard You Looking (instrumental)
YLT are rather musically diverse, with simple, folky indie rock songs next to noisy guitar bits and then droney/dreamy tracks. The two versions of Big Day Coming serve to emphasize this.

Pain"ful (?), a.

1.

Full of pain; causing uneasiness or distress, either physical or mental; afflictive; disquieting; distressing

Addison.

2.

Requiring labor or toil; difficult; executed with laborious effort; as a painful service; a painful march.

3.

Painstaking; careful; industrious.

[Obs.]

Fuller.

A very painful person, and a great clerk. Jer. Taylor.

Nor must the painful husbandman be tired. Dryden.

Syn. -- Disquieting; troublesome; afflictive; distressing; grievous; laborious; toilsome; difficult; arduous. -- Pain"ful*ly, adv. -- Pain"ful*ness, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.