A mnemonic technique for remembering ordered lists of items or even concepts, the 'peg system mnemonic' or peg mnemonic uses visual memory. The user simply creates a picture within his mind containing two things: The item or concept to remember, and a 'peg'. The peg is an item, which symbolizes the item or concepts place in the list, i.e. a number.

A common ten-peg version uses the following pegs:
  1. A pen or stick
  2. A swan (the head makes it look like the number 2)
  3. Breasts (tilt them to make them look like a '3')
  4. A chair (four legs, or turn it upside down to imitate the number)
  5. A hook (looks like the lower part of the number)
  6. Elephants trunk (rolled up looks like the number)
  7. A sharp cliffside (hey, finding something looking like 7 is tough)
  8. A snowman
  9. A pipe or tennis racket (see notes for 7)
  10. Laurel and Hardy
Having a car as fifth entry on the list would be envisioned as car being pummeled by a crane hook, for example. An extended version makes use of 'secondary pegs', which are coupled to indicate 'tens'. For example, ice could indicate the numbers 11-20. Making the car number 15 instead of 5 could be done by having the car crushed while in a block of ice. Fire, meadow or any other thing, which a mental image can be coupled with, can be used to extend the range of the peg mnemonic.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.