The peritoneum stretches from the diaphragm to the pelvis and consists of the parietal peritoneum and the visceral peritoneum.

There is normally no empty space within the peritoneum. There is a tiny amount of peritoneal fluid normally but any accumulation of fluid (ascites) or gas (pneumoperitoneum) is abnormal. Inflammation of the peritoneum is peritonitis, which is usually caused by a perforation in the stomach or intestines and is a serious condition.


A listing of the major structures in the abdomen, divided into whether they are intraperitoneal or extraperitoneal.

Intraperitoneal structures




Extraperitoneal structures


/msg me for comments/suggestions/corrections (it's confusing enough figuring out from memory which structures belong where on this list)

Per`i*to*ne"um (?), n. [L. peritoneum, peritonaeum, Gr. , , fr. to stretch all around or over; around + to stretch.] Anat.

The smooth serous membrane which lines the cavity of the abdomen, or the whole body cavity when there is no diaphragm, and, turning back, surrounds the viscera, forming a closed, or nearly closed, sac.

[Written also peritonaeum.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.