Priming is the process of adding sugar to fermented beer in preperation for bottling. This process causes leftover yeast in the bottled beer to begin fermenting. This fermentation is created for the purpose of producing carbon dioxide gas which displaces oxygen gas and more importantly is over the course of several days absorbed by the beer resulting in carbonation. This is called bottle-conditioning, this natural carbonation method is supposed to taste better than the forced carbonation method. Corn sugar is often used since it doesn't add any flavors to the beer. Dry malt extract is also used.

See Homebrewing.

Prim"ing (?), n.

1.

The powder or other combustible used to communicate fire to a charge of gunpowder, as in a firearm.

2. Paint.

The first coating of color, size, or the like, laid on canvas, or on a building, or other surface.

3. Steam Eng.

The carrying over of water, with the steam, from the boiler, as into the cylinder.

Priming of the tide. See Lag of the tide, under 2d Lag. -- Priming tube, a small pipe, filled with a combustible composition for firing cannon. -- Priming valve Steam Eng., a spring safety valve applied to the cylinder of a steam engine for discharging water carried into the cylinder by priming. -- Priming wire, a pointed wire used to penetrate the vent of a piece, for piercing the cartridge before priming.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.