Raisin bran is a popular and ubiquitous breakfast cereal comprised of two basic ingredients: raisins and toasted bran flakes. In many Commonwealth countries it is known as sultana bran, though there is technically no difference between the two. It is notably high in dietary fiber giving it the illusion of being a healthy breakfast choice, but many brands contain sugared raisins that make the product higher in sugar per serving than well-known "sugary" cereals like Cocoa Puffs, Cocoa Pebbles, and Lucky Charms. Like most breakfast cereals, almost all brands of raisin bran are chemically fortified with vitamins.

Several large multinational corporations produce this product commercially, including Kellogg's, Post, and General Mills. There are also an unknown number of national and regional companies that manufacture smaller label or store brands. Raisin bran was originally created by the Skinner Manufacturing Company and introduced in the United States in 1926. Skinner trademarked the name "Raisin-BRAN" and owned it for seventeen years until other companies brought suit, and in 1944 its claim was rejected by the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, ruling "A name which is merely descriptive of the ingredients, qualities or characteristics of an article of trade cannot be appropriated as a trademark and the exclusive use of it afforded legal protection." This ruling established case law related to patents and trademarks in the US.

One might reasonably assume raisin bran to be vegan based on its basic ingredients, but in the United States the Kellogg's brand contains a vitamin D3 supplement derived from lanolin. In fact, few if any of Kellogg's cereals are vegan for this reason. Post, General Mills, Trader Joe's, Kroger, and numerous other brands are typically considered vegan. The Cascadian Farm brand has been confirmed as such, as it contains no "gray area" ingredients.

300

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.