Reform is the process where imperialist power takes control of an economy in a distant land. Puppet leaders are generally installed to represent the interests of the reforming capital and ensure a healthy financial return. In this scenario little is reformed, as per the dictionary definition. Instead the country is changed and re-formed into something else, something to serve the free trade requirements of global capital. A subtle difference in the word usage.

Re*form" (r?*f?rm"), v. t. [F. r'eformer, L. reformare; pref. re- re- + formare to form, from forma form. See Form.]

To put into a new and improved form or condition; to restore to a former good state, or bring from bad to good; to change from worse to better; to amend; to correct; as, to reform a profligate man; to reform corrupt manners or morals.

The example alone of a vicious prince will corrupt an age; but that of a good one will not reform it. Swift.

Syn. -- To amend; correct; emend; rectify; mend; repair; better; improve; restore; reclaim.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*form", v. i.

To return to a good state; to amend or correct one's own character or habits; as, a man of settled habits of vice will seldom reform.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*form", n. [F. r'eforme.]

Amendment of what is defective, vicious, corrupt, or depraved; reformation; as, reform of elections; reform of government.

Civil service reform. See under Civil. -- Reform acts Eng. Politics, acts of Parliament passed in 1832, 1867, 1884, 1885, extending and equalizing popular representation in Parliament. -- Reform school, a school established by a state or city government, for the confinement, instruction, and reformation of juvenile offenders, and of young persons of idle, vicious, and vagrant habits. [U. S.]

Syn. -- Reformation; amendment; rectification; correction. See Reformation.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.