When attempting to download a computer file via a file-sharing program (such as Napster, gnutella, Morpheus, etc.), you might find your request to download "remotely queued." What this means is that the user you are attempting to download from has reached his/her upload limit (his/her computer is uploading the maximum amount of files that said user has allowed to be uploaded at once) and your request is in a queue, waiting for its turn to download. There may be requests ahead of yours or you may be first in line but the point is you will have to wait your turn.

Some file-sharing programs allow users to specify zero as the number of simultaneous uploads possible. With Napster, at least, this would give someone who attempted to download from a user with a zero-maximum-uploads limit the "remotely queued" message. The trick is that the remotely queued user would remain remotely queued indefinitely as, even with no uploads, the upload limit would be reached. This is rude. No, don't go do it. Damn it, I said no! Fortunately, some file-sharing programs (WinMX, for example) display the remotely queued user's place in line (e.g., if you're second in line, your display will say "Remotely Queued 2"), so one can get an idea as to whether or not waiting in the queue is worth doing.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.