A classful distance vector routing protocol that uses ticks and hop count as its metric. RIP was based on a Xerox protocol named GWINFO and a later modification called routed (pronounced "route-dee") was included with BSD in 1982. RIP is an IGP, so it routes in a single autonomous system.

RIP 2 allows more info to be included in the packets and has a simple authentication mechanism.

RFC 1723 updates RFC 1058.

An old terminal protocol from the BBS days that was GUI. Now defunct, RIP is a lost relic from a lost era. The only BBS I remember supporting it was The Fun Connection.

From Larry Flynt Publishing, the best-quality writing and photography to be found in any hard rock magazine in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Much better than Metal Edge, which was OK, or Circus and Hit Parader, which are awful.

RIP briefly became more of an alternative-rock magazine for a while before going out of business.

Right Thing = R = rip-off

rip v.

1. To extract the digital representation of a piece of music from an audio CD. Software that does this is often called a "CD ripper". 2. [Amiga hackers] To extract sound or graphics from a program that they have been compiled/assembled into, or which generates them at run-time. In the case of older Amiga games this entails searching through memory shortly after a reboot. This sense has been in use for many years and probably gave rise to the (now more common) sense 1.

--Jargon File, autonoded by rescdsk.

EDIT ME!
The Everyone Project.
Log in: "everyone" Password: "everyone"
First created by: rescdsk
Modified by: (nobody)

acronym: Raster Image Processor, a hardware computer device or a software program that processes a file from the vector based PostScript page description language into dots or "bitmaps" for output by an imaging device, such as a laser printer or imagesetter.

In surfing, a rip is a current where water which has been brought into the beach by breaking waves goes back out to sea. Sometimes a rip will go sideways along the beach before going out to sea. The water usually rips back out in a spot where the bottom is deeper, and therefore the waves don't break there as much. This makes rips much loved by surfers, because they make it much easier to get out behind the line of breaking waves. Rips can be very dangerous for swimmers, especially if they don't have experience swimming in surf.

If you get caught in a rip, don't try to swim against the current. Swim sideways out of the rip, and then catch a wave back to shore.
(P) Luck; lucky fellow. (“What a rip!’—“What a lucky fellow!")

v. To burglarize a safe by the rip technique.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

Rip (?), n. [Cf. Icel. hrip a box or basket; perhaps akin to E. corb. Cf. Ripier.]

A wicker fish basket.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rip, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Ripped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Ripping.] [Cf. AS. r&ymac;pan, also Sw. repa to ripple flax, D. repelen, G. reffen, riffeln, and E. raff, raffle. Cf. Raff, Ripple of flax.]

1.

To divide or separate the parts of, by cutting or tearing; to tear or cut open or off; to tear off or out by violence; as, to rip a garment by cutting the stitches; to rip off the skin of a beast; to rip up a floor; -- commonly used with up, open, off.

2.

To get by, or as by, cutting or tearing.

He 'll rip the fatal secret from her heart. Granville.

3.

To tear up for search or disclosure, or for alteration; to search to the bottom; to discover; to disclose; -- usually with up.

They ripped up all that had been done from the beginning of the rebellion. Clarendon.

For brethern to debate and rip up their falling out in the ear of a common enemy . . . is neither wise nor comely. Milton.

4.

To saw (wood) lengthwise of the grain or fiber.

Ripping chisel Carp., a crooked chisel for cleaning out mortises. Knight. -- Ripping iron. Shipbuilding Same as Ravehook. -- Ripping saw. Carp. See Ripsaw. -- To rip out, to rap out, to utter hastily and violently; as, to rip out an oath. [Colloq.] See To rap out, under Rap, v. t.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rip, n.

1.

A rent made by ripping, esp. by a seam giving way; a tear; a place torn; laceration.

2. [Perh. a corruption of the first syllable of reprobate.]

A term applied to a mean, worthless thing or person, as to a scamp, a debauchee, or a prostitute, or a worn-out horse.

[Slang.]

3.

A body of water made rough by the meeting of opposing tides or currents.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.