The Siddur (plural siddurim) is the Hebrew word used to refer to the book of daily prayers or order of service in Jewish worship. The Hebrew root of the word Siddur is sdr- This root is always related to the concept of order. For instance, the order of prayers said on the first nights of Passover is called the Passover Seder. The order of prayers in the Siddur is determined by their frequency of use. A prayer said every day would come near the beginning of the Siddur because it is said more often. Some services, like Hallel, are not said every week, but are said at the beginning of every month and on holidays and appear later in the book.

The Shacharit or morning service is said daily. This would be located near the beginning of the Siddur. The daily afternoon (Mincha) and evening (Ma'ariv) services follow right after Shacharit. The traditional standard sequence is to put several prayers between Shacharit and Mincha, (morning and afternoon services) because that it the time when they are often first said. The last prayer said by the Jew each day is the Kriat Shema Al HaMitah (The Bedtime Shema) and will be found toward the end of the Siddur.

Prayer services for special holidays like Yom Kippur are usually contained in a separate book, called the machzor or mahzor.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.