A siege is a long, slow battle accomplished less by conventional warfare than by starvation, dehydration and biological weapons.

Here's how it works. Say you want to attack a city that's well-defended, and you know you probably can't force your way in. You do have enough troops to control the traffic to and from the city, however, so you place an embargo on everything. Food, water, supplies, you name it, they'll eventually run out of it. Poisoning the water supply will speed things up, but be sure to find a clean source for your own troops.

While you wait for the residents of the city to surrender, you can take your sweet time in attacking. Dig tunnels toward the city walls and perhaps you can get enough explosives under the wall to create a breach. You can also use a catapult to hurl things at the city. Impact projectiles (rocks, for example) are traditional, but you can also throw in disgusting stuff like carrion and feces. This will make the residents hurl, and perhaps give them a disease problem.

If they haven't given up yet, try your luck with other siege weaponry like a rolling tower to get your troops into the city. Remember that most of the people they kill will be grunts; the important people will often have locked themselves in a stronghold with supplies. You may then have a second siege on your hands.

Sometimes the best way to end a siege is to offer generous terms of surrender -- all civilians to be spared, all soldiers to be disarmed, and only the officers to be hacked to pieces.

A strategy game made by Mindcraft around 1994. The game idea involves a map of a castle which you must either defend or conquer, depending on your side. The character types were loosely based on those of fantasy RPGs, including elves, dwarves, orcs, trolls, etc., with skills of archer, warrior, berzerker, engineer, etc. The goal of the game is the capture the flag concept, where you must either keep your home flag up for 20+ days (if defender) or keep your opposing flag up for one full day (if attacker).

Nearly all the sound effects in this game were taken from the Terry Gilliam movie Time Bandits.

The game was written by Larry Froistad. It was given away for free in an issue of Interactive Entertainment, a short-lived CD-ROM magazine. The game has a built-in level editor.

This game is best known for its two joke character classes: War Chickens and Battle Cattle.

Oh, how this light breeze of yours tears through my skin
It freezes my blood and chills me to the bone
And no defense that I build can withstand you
And so I lie here shivering at what you bring

Oh, how your insensitive words cut through my heart
Every time you speak, the more distress it draws
And no defense that I build can withstand you
And so I lie here crying at what you bring

Oh, how your promises build like a tower
That draws me closer to the riches within
And no defense that I build can withstand you
And so I lie here waiting for what you bring

I shall erect a great wall and you shall scale it
I shall dig the deepest moat and you shall cross it
I shall hide behind steel and you shall break it
I shall cover my soul and you shall enter it
http://www.total-klik.com/faind/file.asp?id=2

Siege is a silly, free puzzle game by Fallen Angel Industries, created with The Games Factory sometime in 2002. After picking one of six generals, you set up camp on one side of a surprisingly two-dimensional battlefield. You have a 6x5 grid on the top of the screen full of tiles in four flavors: Iron (gray arrow thing), Wood (green tree on brown), Fire (fireball!), and Magick (star thingy on green). By mixing these together (any tile can be switched with any other tile) on the bottom two rows and pressing enter, you build things like knights and dragons and archers, which march (or fly, or ride, or float) out of your castle (or giant skull, or evil tree fort, or tower), and usually end up getting eaten out by the bigger and badder thing your enemy just built. Eventually, either time runs out and a winner is declared, or one player's stronghold runs out of HP and a loser is exploded.

Siege has one big glaring problem: a missing dll. Specifically, cncs32.dll. It isnt that hard to find, however, with the magic of Google.

Generals: There are six generals. The power-to-technology scheme is pretty simple: The more HP the general has, the less complex the things are it can build. For example, Edward the Friendly can't even build KNIGHTS, but he can take quite a beating.

         Biggest Fort -------------------------------------- Biggest Baddies
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
General |EDWARD the|   LORD   | COUNTESS | CULT of  |  FATHER   | MORTIMER  |
        |FRIENDLY  |  DIESEL  |  SEDUSA  |  LAIMEN  |APOCALYPSE |  the ILL  |
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Highest |          |          |          |          |           |           |
Possible|Battering | Catapult |  Knight  | Outpost  |  Airship  |Necromancer|
Unit    |   Ram    |          |          |          |           |           |
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
this graph looks horrible in the edit box
Units: There are 20 units. They are all 2, 4, or 6 slots wide, and 1-2 slots tall. They can only be placed in the bottom two rows, and units 1 slot tall can only be placed on the very bottom. Also, all units can only be placed on pairs, like this:
 GOOD    BAD
FFFFxx  xFFFFx
WIIWxx  xWIIWx
And now, the big bag o' combinations:
Obviously, I = Iron, W = Wood, F = Fire, and M = Magick.
  1. Footsoldier
    • II - Really, really, really simple. These tend to show up a lot right away after you build something, which is helpful because you can just *TICK TACK TICK* off some cannon fodder to follow up your Golem or whatever.
  2. Archer
    • WF - Once you realize what these actually do, they dont seem as interesing. They appear, shoot off one arrow, and disappear. I suggest making several at once, to take a chunk off that Necromancer your opponent just built.
  3. Battering Ram
    • WWWI - These have the amazing power to go really slow. On the flip side, though, they do do a decent amount of damage.
  4. Bombadeer
    • FF - I thought these were some wizard thing at first. It turns out that they're just guys that explode about halfway across the screen,
      FF - killing anything the explosion hits. Not bad, though.
  5. Crossbow
    • WWWW - Uh oh! Complexity! These shoot a big arrow across half the screen and slice things in their way. Very thinly.
      IFFI
  6. Catapult
    • FFFF - A bombadeer that doesnt take as long. That's it.
      WIIW
  7. Briar Patch
    • MM - These are very very useful. They get in the way of anything trying to attack your stronghold, and last for a few knights. Build one,
      WW - NOW. You can't? Get a better general, NOW.
  8. Knight
    • FI - AWW YEAH! They're fast, they're reasonably strong, and they carry a barbershop pole. Don't use footsoldiers, EVER; just get Sedusa or
      FI - better and flood these.
  9. Thunderstorm
    • MM - These are supposed to block projectiles, which they do nicely. Beware, though, as Airships count as projectiles, and sometimes Dragons
      MM - as well.
  10. Warlock
    • WWMMMM - These are dissapointing. Instead of getting some supernatural bearded guy who lays waste to hordes of enemies, slinging fireballs through the air, you get a beefed-up crossbow. *Yawn*.
  11. Engineer
    • IWIW - These are supposed to restore some HP, and they might just be useless. I had to pull up Siege, figure out all the second-player
      WIWI - controls, and do some damage to P2 so I could build an engineer with him. And it left before I gained even one point of health.
  12. War Elephant
  13. Outpost
    • FWWWWF - The first 2x6 in the set. Do you see a pattern here? "Well if you trade off some HP, you can get a better version of what this guy
      WIWWIW - has! Today: Briar patch switches to wood and starts shooting arrows."
  14. Meteor
    • MM - Three randomly-aimed fireballs come streaking down, and kill something on your opponent's half of the screen, including your guys.
      FF
  15. Plague
    • __WW__ - Bombadeer -> Catapult -> Plague
      MMMMMM - Really Slow -> Fast -> Instant (With neat glowy skull thing)
  16. Airship
    • WWWWWW - Step two of Meteor! They float along, drop bombs, and will die at your opponent's Thunderstorms.
      FIFWFW
  17. Golem
    • IIIIII - Woah. Big, slow, and invincible. This thing survived five crossbows, a full briar patch, and still took a decent chunk out of the
      IMMMMI - other guy's stronghold. You can only build them one at a time, but you only need one.
  18. Dragon
    • MFMFMF - Yes, Dragons. You can't have a game like this without them. Basically, triple-shot of Meteor plus screen-crossing of Airship.
      FMFMFM
  19. Necromancer
    • MFMWMI - Number one reason to pick Mortimer. This guy walks a little way, raises his hands, and starts working magic. When any of your guys
      MMMMMM - dies, you get a fresh zombie out of it!
  20. Zombie
    • No way to build these. To get them, have a Necromancer out when one of your guys dies. You can have up to 3, and they work just fine. Unfortunately, they cant eat strongholds.

Siege (?), n. [OE. sege, OF. siege, F. siege a seat, a siege; cf. It. seggia, seggio, zedio, a seat, asseggio, assedio, a siege, F. assi'eger to besiege, It. & LL. assediare, L. obsidium a siege, besieging; all ultimately fr. L. sedere to sit. See Sit, and cf. See, n.]

1.

A seat; especially, a royal seat; a throne.

[Obs.] "Upon the very siege of justice."

Shak.

A stately siege of sovereign majesty, And thereon sat a woman gorgeous gay. Spenser.

In our great hall there stood a vacant chair . . . And Merlin called it "The siege perilous." Tennyson.

2.

Hence, place or situation; seat.

[Obs.]

Ah! traitorous eyes, come out of your shameless siege forever. Painter (Palace of Pleasure).

3.

Rank; grade; station; estimation.

[Obs.]

I fetch my life and being From men of royal siege. Shak.

4.

Passage of excrements; stool; fecal matter.

[Obs.]

The siege of this mooncalf. Shak.

5.

The sitting of an army around or before a fortified place for the purpose of compelling the garrison to surrender; the surrounding or investing of a place by an army, and approaching it by passages and advanced works, which cover the besiegers from the enemy's fire. See the Note under Blockade.

6.

Hence, a continued attempt to gain possession.

Love stood the siege, and would not yield his breast. Dryden.

7.

The floor of a glass-furnace.

8.

A workman's bench.

Knught.

Siege gun, a heavy gun for siege operations. -- Siege train, artillery adapted for attacking fortified places.

 

© Webster 1913.


Siege, v. t.

To besiege; to beset.

[R.]

Through all the dangers that can siege The life of man. Buron.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.