Skipping is an action usually performed by small children in the act of play. Skipping is defined by the American Heritage dictionary as a verb meaning "To move by hopping on one foot and then the other."

To skip:

1. Decide upon a starting foot. From that foot, leap forward into the air, holding the other foot up slightly by bending the knee.

2. Land upon the same foot as the leap began, breaking your forward momentum slightly (which is usually accompanied by a scuffing sound).

3. Switch feet and repeat. Pigtails are optional.

It would seem that the American word for a skip is a dumpster. Skips (in Britain) are large waste receptacle delivered by a truck. The cost of hiring one includes taking it away again and dealing with whatever is inside. It would, therefore, be poor form to put stuff in someone else's skip, but good form to fish things out.

In curling (yes, curling), the "skip" is the most important member of the four-man team. It is his job to push the 42-pound curling stone down the icy 138-foot long sheet and attempt to land the stone in the target (or "house") at the other end. After letting go of the stone (which must take place before reaching the hog line), the skip will slide for some distance after the stone; however, after letting go, the skip's involvement is basically over (except for exerting his teammates to "Hurry hard!"). Since the skip is center stage (or center sheet, rather) during a curling match—much as, say, the quarterback is in a football game—the skip receives the most prestige of all the members of a curling team.

Then again, a helpful noder has informed me that all the members of the team throw stones, but the skip "throws last and provides leadership." Yet my research concludes otherwise. WHOM TO BELIEVE?

Update: Indeed. The skip curls last, and leads the strategizing of his teammates—and, of course, screams like a bastard if the sweepers aren't sweeping enough.

Source: http://www.paulgross.org/mwb2.html

Skip (?), n. [See Skep.]

1.

A basket. See Skep.

[Obs. or Prov. Eng. & Scot.]

2.

A basket on wheels, used in cotton factories.

3. Mining

An iron bucket, which slides between guides, for hoisting mineral and rock.

4. Sugar Manuf.

A charge of sirup in the pans.

5.

A beehive; a skep.

 

© Webster 1913.


Skip, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Skipped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Skipping.] [OE. skippen, of uncertain origin; cf. Icel. skopa run, skoppa to spin like a top, OSw. & dial. Sw. skimmpa to run, skimpa, skompa, to hop, skip; or Ir. sgiob to snatch, Gael. sgiab to start or move suddenly, to snatch, W. ysgipio to snatch.]

1.

To leap lightly; to move in leaps and hounds; -- commonly implying a sportive spirit.

The lamb thy riot dooms to bleed to-day, Had he thy reason, would he skip and play? Pope.

So she drew her mother away skipping, dancing, and frisking fantastically. Hawthorne.

2.

Fig.: To leave matters unnoticed, as in reading, speaking, or writing; to pass by, or overlook, portions of a thing; -- often followed by over.

 

© Webster 1913.


Skip, v. t.

1.

To leap lightly over; as, to skip the rope.

2.

To pass over or by without notice; to omit; to miss; as, to skip a line in reading; to skip a lesson.

They who have a mind to see the issue may skip these two chapters. Bp. Burnet.

3.

To cause to skip; as, to skip a stone.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Skip, n.

1.

A light leap or bound.

2.

The act of passing over an interval from one thing to another; an omission of a part.

3. Mus.

A passage from one sound to another by more than a degree at once.

Busby.

Skip kennel, a lackey; a footboy. [Slang.] Swift. -- Skip mackerel. Zool. See Bluefish, 1.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.