In slang strap means handgun, that is a pistol or a revolver.

Usage: "You got your strap?"

Strap (?), n. [OE. strope, AS. stropp, L. stroppus, struppus, perhaps fr. Gr. a band or cord, fr. to twist, to turn (cf. Strophe). Cf. Strop a strap, a piece of rope.]

1.

A long, narrow, pliable strip of leather, cloth, or the like; specifically, a strip of thick leather used in flogging.

A lively cobbler that . . . had scarce passed a day without giving her [his wife] the discipline of the strap. Addison.

2.

Something made of such a strip, or of a part of one, or a combination of two or more for a particular use; as, a boot strap, shawl strap, stirrup strap.

3.

A piece of leather, or strip of wood covered with a suitable material, for sharpening a razor; a strop.

4.

A narrow strip of anything, as of iron or brass.

Specifically: --

(a) Carp. & Mach.

A band, plate, or loop of metal for clasping and holding timbers or parts of a machine.

(b) Naut.

A piece of rope or metal passing around a block and used for fastening it to anything.

5. Bot. (a)

The flat part of the corolla in ligulate florets, as those of the white circle in the daisy.

(b)

The leaf, exclusive of its sheath, in some grasses.

6.

A shoulder strap. See under Shoulder.

Strap bolt, a bolt of which one end is a flat bar of considerable length. -- Strap head Mach., a journal box, or pair of brasses, secured to the end of a connecting rod by a strap. See Illust. of Gib and key, under Gib. -- Strap hinge, a hinge with long flaps by which it is fastened, as to a door or wall. -- Strap rail Railroads, a flat rail formerly used.

 

© Webster 1913.


Strap, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Strapped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Strapping.]

1.

To beat or chastise with a strap.

2.

To fasten or bind with a strap.

Cowper.

3.

To sharpen by rubbing on a strap, or strop; as, to strap a razor.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.