It drew from classic heavy metal, NWOBHM, hardcore punk, and its own unique energy to create music that was more aggressive than any at that time.
Thrash focused more on rhythm than older metal, abrasive picking, and speed, while retaining intricate riffing, complex compositions, and moments of distinct melody.
It paved the way for death metal, grindcore, and black metal.
Nothing projects energy and aggression like thrash.

To constantly swap out to / in from disk. You can hear it when your machine thrashes. Fix it by adding memory or by 'kill -9 -1'.

This time, for sure! = T = thread

thrash vi.

To move wildly or violently, without accomplishing anything useful. Paging or swapping systems that are overloaded waste most of their time moving data into and out of core (rather than performing useful computation) and are therefore said to thrash. Someone who keeps changing his mind (esp. about what to work on next) is said to be thrashing. A person frantically trying to execute too many tasks at once (and not spending enough time on any single task) may also be described as thrashing. Compare multitask.

--Jargon File, autonoded by rescdsk.

Thrash (?), Thresh (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Thrashed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Thrashing.] [OE. reschen, reshen, to beat, AS. erscan, rescan; akin to D. dorschen, OD. derschen, G. dreschen, OHG. dreskan, Icel. reskja, Sw. troska, Dan. taerske, Goth. riskan, Lith. traszketi to rattle, Russ. treskate to burst, crackle, tresk' a crash, OSlav. troska a stroke of lighting. Cf. Thresh.]

1.

To beat out grain from, as straw or husks; to beat the straw or husk of (grain) with a flail; to beat off, as the kernels of grain; as, to thrash wheat, rye, or oats; to thrash over the old straw.

The wheat was reaped, thrashed, and winnowed by machines. H. Spencer.

2.

To beat soundly, as with a stick or whip; to drub.

 

© Webster 1913.


Thrash, Thresh, v. t.

1.

To practice thrashing grain or the like; to perform the business of beating grain from straw; as, a man who thrashes well.

2.

Hence, to labor; to toil; also, to move violently.

I rather would be Maevius, thrash for rhymes, Like his, the scorn and scandal of the times. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.