Throat (?), n. [OE. throte, AS. rote, rotu; akin to OHG. drozza, G. drossel; cf. OFries. & D. stort. Cf. Throttle.]

1. Anat. (a)

The part of the neck in front of, or ventral to, the vertebral column.

(b)

Hence, the passage through it to the stomach and lungs; the pharynx; -- sometimes restricted to the fauces.

I can vent clamor from my throat. Shak.

2.

A contracted portion of a vessel, or of a passage way; as, the throat of a pitcher or vase.

3. Arch.

The part of a chimney between the gathering, or portion of the funnel which contracts in ascending, and the flue.

Gwilt.

4. Naut. (a)

The upper fore corner of a boom-and-gaff sail, or of a staysail.

(b)

That end of a gaff which is next the mast.

(c)

The angle where the arm of an anchor is joined to the shank.

Totten.

5. Shipbuilding

The inside of a timber knee.

6. Bot.

The orifice of a tubular organ; the outer end of the tube of a monopetalous corolla; the faux, or fauces.

Throat brails Naut., brails attached to the gaff close to the mast. -- Throat halyards Naut., halyards that raise the throat of the gaff. -- Throat pipe Anat., the windpipe, or trachea. -- To give one the lie in his throat, to accuse one pointedly of lying abominably. -- To lie in one's throat, to lie flatly or abominably.

 

© Webster 1913.


Throat, v. t.

1.

To utter in the throat; to mutter; as, to throat threats.

[Obs.]

Chapman.

2.

To mow, as beans, in a direction against their bending.

[Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.