Vis"it (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Visited; p. pr. & vb. n. Visiting.] [F. visiter, L. visitare, fr. visere to go to see, to visit, fr. videre, visum to see. See Vision.]

1.

To go or come to see, as for the purpose of friendship, business, curiosity, etc.; to attend; to call upon; as, the physician visits his patient.

2. Specifically: To go or come to see for inspection, examination, correction of abuses, etc.; to examine, to inspect; as, a bishop visits his diocese; a superintendent visits persons or works under his charge.

3. Script.

To come to for the purpose of chastising, rewarding, comforting; to come upon with reward or retribution; to appear before or judge; as, to visit in mercy; to visit one in wrath.

[God] hath visited and redeemed his people. Like i. 68.

 

© Webster 1913.


Vis"it (?), v. i.

To make a visit or visits; to maintain visiting relations; to practice calling on others.

 

© Webster 1913.


Vis"it, n. [Cf. F. visite. See Visit, v. t., and cf. Visite.]

1.

The act of visiting, or going to see a person or thing; a brief stay of business, friendship, ceremony, curiosity, or the like, usually longer than a call; as, a visit of civility or respect; a visit to Saratoga; the visit of a physician.

2.

The act of going to view or inspect; an official or formal inspection; examination; visitation; as, the visit of a trustee or inspector.

Right of visit Internat.Law, the right of visitation. See Visitation, 4.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.