What I've made myself to you, physically and emotionally, and the one thing I tried so hard to avoid being, simply because I've been hurt one too many times. I want reassurance so desperately sometimes, but I know you can't really tell me exactly what I need to hear (though, it isn't your fault).

I think that vulnerability is probably most evident when it relates to love, relationships, at least for me. I've let humans into my thoughts, my life, into me, and I've been hurt just for that reason. Though it would seem a simple issue with an even simpler answer, or more appropriately, cure, it really isn't. I honestly tried not to let this happen again, I closed myself off to such things for a time.. but of course I failed, thankfully.

I'm thrilled that I've found someone so amazing, so gorgeous, intelligent, someone who makes me smile, laugh, cry out of pure intense emotion, that is, love. I just wish sometimes that love didn't always make me so infinitely vulnerable.. though, I also don't want to hold back out of fear. So.. I'll go on, and I'll risk the hurt I'll risk the unbelievable pain because I'm happier and more in love now than I've ever been in my entire life.

"These are the moments I'll remember all my life.." - Edwin McCain
In contract bridge, when one partnership has won one of the two games needed to win a rubber, they are vulnerable. (It's possible for both sides to be vulnerable at the same time.)

The penalties for a vulnerable team failing to make a contract are larger. However, if you win a second game, you get an additional bonus for winning the rubber. See contract bridge scoring for details.

In duplicate bridge, where each hand is scored separately from others, the vulnerable/not vulnerable assignments rotate so that each combination of vulnerability is played equally many times. Each hand is scored as though it occurred in that particular situation.

Vul"ner*a*ble (?), a. [L. vulnerabilis wounding, injurious, from vulnerare to wound, vulnus a wound; akin to Skr. vraa: cf. F. vuln'erable.]

1.

Capable of being wounded; susceptible of wounds or external injuries; as, a vulnerable body.

Achilles was vulnerable in his heel; and there will be wanting a Paris to infix the dart. Dr. T. Dwight.

2.

Liable to injury; subject to be affected injuriously; assailable; as, a vulnerable reputation.

His skill in finding out the vulnerable parts of strong minds was consummate. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.