Also the title of their debut album*, Wide Open Spaces combines traditional country with bluegrass and Top 40 melody to produce a sound that is fresh, fun, and somewhat addictive. When the album came out in 1998, it didn't take long for the ladies to become popular.

The Dixie Chicks consist of Natalie Maines (main vocals), Emily Erwin (vocals, guitar, banjo, and dobro) and Martie Seidel (vocals, fiddle, and mandolin). The Chicks have studio musicians and a backup band on stage, as well. Expect to hear piano, some violin, electric guitars, and all manners of percussion on the album. This isn't your typical country, folks.

The album has produced five top-10 hits, including three songs that reached #1. It has also helped the Chicks to win several CMA awards, Grammy's, and Billboard Music Awards. Stats aside, this is a great album. It's one of those roll-down-your-windows, turn-up-the-volume and belt-it-out CD's that makes you want to sing at the top of your lungs with a big smile on your face. Yes. I'm one of those.

The track list

  1. I Can Love You Better
  2. Wide Open Spaces
  3. Loving Arms
  4. There's Your Trouble
  5. You Were Mine
  6. Never Say Die
  7. Tonight The Heartache's On Me
  8. Let 'Er Rip
  9. Once You've Loved Somebody
  10. I'll Take Care Of You
  11. Am I The Only One (Who's Ever Felt This Way)
  12. Give It Up Or Let Me Go

*Actually, Wide Open Spaces is the Dixie Chicks' 1-2-3-fourth album. However, it is the first album they released after firing two members of the band, Laura Lynch and Robin Lynn Macy, hiring the beautiful Miss Maines, and undergoing a serious makeover. Since the band is so drastically different, they might as well be considered d'ebutants.

All of the information from this wu came from my vast and somehow pathetic knowledge of general music trivia.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.