I'm going to have to agree that voting is a great waste of time (at least in this Country).

It's not that I believe that voting is useless, or that my vote doesn't make a difference. I fully believe in the power of voting to choose a candidate. However, I believe that you are voting for people, not for issues and that most candidates are so alike that it's irrelevant.

When you vote for somebody, you're saying, I think you would make a good ____ and that your stance on the issues is what I want. One would think that the fact that these people are called "representatives", that instead of representing their own views (and pocketbook, employment, and big business) that they would represent the views of their constituents. You don't see that though...nobody ever talks about how they voted for choice A on issue X because that's what they thought their constituents would want, it's all about how they voted this way because it would represent them well or not well. You can't vote for a person and expect them to represent you and what you want. Not only do their views change, but they may not even vote the same way that they said they would one they're there. This very much diminishes the actual representation that you receive by choosing a particular candidate.

I also have this belief that (at least in the "two"-party system, where in the very least we only have two candidates with a chance for winning...at least in the near future. Not that if it came down to my choice I'd pick either of them...) if you didn't know who won the election, and none of the newspapers mentioned any personal information about the candidates, that if all you had was the policies that they implemented, voted for, or made decisions about, chances are you would not be able to determine who had actually been elected. This is just my pet theory, and might not hold any water, so feel free to disagree. *grin*

But despite all my nitpicking with the representative process as a whole, it's more that idealistically I believe that significant change starts in the individual, and especially in the environment that you create around yourself. So shoot me, I'm a hopelessly naive idealist. If I believe in freedom, and freedom of religion, I am going to bring my children up with the freedom to choose their religion. If I believe in toleration and the basic worth of humanity, then I will demonstrate that in the way I treat the people around me. Although it sounds awfully silly, I believe this is actually a really effective way of affecting change in your life and in the world around you.

In short, I really believe that you can't force change, you can't legislate change, you can't change other people. People can only change themselves.