My secret place isn't really secret. At least not in the sense that no one else goes there. It is a man made lake north of Columbus, Nebraska. People go there to fish jet-ski, boat and what not. It used to be a sand pit for cattle.

One night my friends just ended up hanging out there sitting on the concrete retaining wall chatting, complaining about not having anything to do, and all the other things that high school youths talk about. After that night this place started to hold great power for me. It was tranquil. Being somewhat halfway inbetween the city and nature, it reminded me of my dual nature, how I am not either really a city boy or a farm boy, but somewhere in between. I like to think I am the best of both worlds.

Occasionally I would visit this place during the day, but it didn't seem to be any of the things it seemed to be during the night. Perhaps there were too many people there. You see at night there was hardly anyone there. The occasional night fisherman, or horny couple (a motive of which I admit had brought me there a couple times), or maybe another group like our own. My close group of friends would occasionally get some of our extended friends to go there with us. I'm not sure if the lake meant as much to them as it did us, or if it even meant as much to my close friends as it did to me.