George Wagner aka Gorgeous George A lesser known fact about George Wagner that many do not know is why he decided to become Gorgeous George.

In 1938 he married Betty Hanson in the wrestling ring in Eugene, Oregon. They repeated this ceremony at different venues for a period of time. Around this time with new wife made him I robe to wear down to the ring. She wanted George to look like a prize fighter. George prized the robe very much and thus was very careful to take good care of it whenever he removed it before a fight. It took time to fold it properly which angered some of the fans. In one instance, a fan heckled him to the point where his wife attacked the fan and then George came to help her.

This is were George found his new identity. He slowly started growing his hair long and bleached it platinum blond. He collected many more frilly robes to wear before his fights and started having a valet precede him to the ring to spray with perfume before fights. These things are what made Gorgeous George. In wrestling you are either loved or hated and George was hated. A lot of the fans were soldiers that didn't think a man should be as prissy as Gorgeous George was.

The main reference for this write up is the book, "The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Heels".