The Persecution of Christianity Worldwide

The word "of" in this case has a double meaning.  Above is a list of the first meaning; countries which persecute Christians.  But there is also a second possible interpretation--those countries where Christianity is dominant and persecutes other ideological and religious views.  Frequently, the "other views" are actually different forms of Christianity.

There have been many examples of this throughout history.  Listed are a few:

Nazi Germany.  Like it or not, the churches, Catholic and Protestant alike, encouraged the persecution of Jews

The Crusades.  A series of for-profit attacks on Middle East Islamic groups between the 1100's and 1300's.  While not a country, the Church wielded its power on the level of a government.

England.  The Anglican Church expelled many smaller Christian sects, the Puritans included, during the 1600's.  These smaller sects moved to...

The United States.  A country whose founding members were members of the extremist Puritan sect.  The Puritans arrived and almost immediately began to move against the Native Americans and their "pagan" religion--a tradition which has continued up until modern day in some backwater areas of the country.  Specific examples range from witch trials to the Ku Klux Klan.

As time goes by and Christianity loses numbers, it has lost much of its power to oppress--currently Christianity has total control only in smaller, less advanced areas of the world.  As cities advance, religions lose their ability to dominate society.


Despite Christianity's tradition of oppression, keep in mind that this neither proves nor disproves the validity of Christianity.  It does, however, show that Christianity is equally as guilty of oppression as any other religion of its size, be it Islam, Buddhism, or Judaism.  

sources: http://www.nextext.com/hreaders/holocaust/student/lesson/holo_les01.cfm   http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04543c.htm