In the great State of Israel there's a saying: Living between one ceasefire to another....
Always accompanied by a cynical smile, this saying pretty much sums up the state of mind according to which the great State of Israel has existed in the past half century.

This vindictive and wary state of mind has lead the people of the great state of Israel to devise many useless and extremely expensive gadgets, and other measures, to insure their 'personal safety'.

Looking back on the 1990's brings to mind the Gulf War:
On August 2nd, 1990, Iraqi troops invade Kuwait. On December 17th of the same year, Iraq is given an ultimatum by the UN, to withdraw its troops by January 15th, or face the consequences. Sensing a war brewing, and fearing Iraq's chemical Scuds, the Israeli government begins issuing Gas Masks, and other chemical warfare countermeasures, to its civilians. In addition, several American 'Anti-missile' Patriot missile batteries are deployed.

A post-war inquiry revealed that more than 70% of all civilian masks were malfunctioned, and would have been futile in case of a chemical attack. Fortunately, Iraq, fearing the fierce American-Israeli retaliation, launched only conventional Scud missiles against Israel.

An Israeli investigation committee stated that the performances of the Patriot missile during the war were poor - a less than 30% success rate. The Patriot system, which was designed in the 1970's, relied on a software originated from the same period, and was unable to make the accurate complicated calculations, required when intercepting a ballistic missile as the Scud.
Ironically, its Iraqi rival, the Scud Al-Hussein, was of no better building quality, and most of the Iraqi missiles broke to pieces before reentering the Atmosphere.

As a result of the Iraqi incompetency, and in spite of the futile defence measurers, the damage inflicted by the Scud attacks was scarce.
sources:

Gulf war chronology: FRONTLINE / WGBH Educational Foundation - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/gulf/cron/
Patriot info: Untied states General Accounting Office report to the Congress - GAO/IMTEC-92-26 Patriot Missile Software Problem