If you're gonna write, you need perspective. Not the first-person third-person perspective we all learned in grade school... you need to look at your writing from a certain perspective.

For a long time, it was hard for me to write, and it still is. But this revelation that I just had makes me look at it in a new way, a new perspective.

Whenever I'm replying to something someone else wrote, I shine. All the words fall into place, and whatever it is I'm writing just seems to write itself. It just flows. On the other hand, whenever I try to write a story, or any other sort of independent piece, I lock up. I don't know how to start, and even though I have it all in my head, I can't make the words work with it.

So, about ten minutes ago, I was showering. I was feeling pretty low for no reason in particular, and out of nowhere it struck me: a revelation.

When I sit down to write something with nobody to write it to, I can't quite squeeze it out. I try to form a good sentence in my head and translate it onto whatever medium I'm working in, and it gets stuck. Jammed. It doesn't come out. Now, I think I have the answer as to why this is (or at least part of the answer): I was writing to nobody. I was writing to an abstraction, and when I write something to nothing, that something ends up as nothing.

So, I'm writing this to you now, whoever you are. This is my new perspective, and so far it seems to be working out nicely. I'm writing to you. In this case, you are the userbase of E2, but you could be anybody. You are everybody. The point is, you aren't nobody. I could be writing to myself, to my dog, to someone specific, or to everyone as a collective.

This new perspective works for me. It won't work for everyone. Maybe you're someone who needs to write to no one. Perhaps you need to address your writings to yourself. Or, could be you find the whole concept of writing "to" someone or "for" someone to be absurd and silly. The point is, find that perspective, that magic number that unlocks that gate from your head to your hand, and let the words flow.