Play written by the great Athenian playwright Aeschylus in 458 BC. Considered by many to be the greatest of Greek plays, it was FAR ahead of its time with respect to theater. The main subject is the events that befall the house of Atreus after the Trojan War. The play is written in 3 acts, titled Agamemnon, The Choephori, and The Eumenides.

The main plot behind the play is that Agamemnon's wife Clytemnestra and her lover kill Agamemnon and his slave girl, the prophetic Cassandra, on his return to Argos. In the first act of the play she murders him because he sacrificed their daughter, Ipheginia, in order to gain favorable winds for his battle fleet sailing to Troy. Agamemnon's son, Orestes with support from his sister Electra, then murders Clytemnestra and her lover in the second act. In the 3rd act, Orestes is pursued by the Eumenides (furies)m, who demand retribution for the murder of his mother. This cycle was typical in bronze age Greek literature, and is, in fact, a continuation of the original sins of the house of Atreus. The Oresteia, however, departs from the old pattern by having Orestes, with help from Athena (the patron deity of Athens), purify himself and live happily ever after in Athens. The propaganda message of the ending is unmistakable. Athens is a new place, not tied to to the old world. It is a fresh start where anyone can prosper.

Perhaps someday the whole thing can be noded here, but it is far too large an undertaking for me.