My own research into many sites, information is pieced together

Leukemia belongs to the family of cancer diseases. It is cancer of the blood. White blood cells may be produced in excessive amounts and are unable to work properly.

Chemotherapy is the most effective method of treating leukemia. Various anticancer drugs are used, either in combination or as single agents. Transfusions of blood components and antibiotics are used as supportive treatments. To illuminate hidden cells, therapy of the central nervous system has become standard treatment, especially in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Under appropriate conditions, bone marrow transplantation may be useful in the treatment of certain leukemias.

Signs and symptoms include fatigue, paleness, weight loss, repeated infections, bruising easily, and nosebleed or other hemorrhages. In children, these signs can appear suddenly. Chronic leukemia can progress slowly and with few symptoms.

Because symptoms often resemble those of other, less serious conditions, leukemia can be difficult to diagnose early. When a physician does suspect leukemia, diagnosis can be made using blood tests and biopsy of the bone marrow.

The 5-year survival rate for patients with leukemia is 38%, due partly to very poor survival of patients with some types of leukemia such as acute granulocytic. Over the last 30 years, however, there has been a dramatic improvement in survival of patients with acute lymphocytic leukemia due to better healthcare.