The human central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord. These lie in the midline of the body and are associated with the skull and vertebrae respectively. Arguably still the most complex known object known to man, this collection of billions of neurons is the seat of consciousness and the central controller over just about everything that makes us human.

Contrast this with the peripheral nervous system and the autonomic nervous system, which pale in significance to the level of taking orders from the central nervous system.

Parts of the central nervous system:


Human Neuroanatomy


Part of the Human Anatomy project (tm). /msg me for errors/comments/suggestions/etc. Thanks.

central nervous system (CNS): that part of the nervous system that includes exclusively the bone encased brain and the spinal cord, as opposed to the outlying peripheral nervous system, consisting of the somatic nervous system, which governs usually voluntary musculo-skeletal reactions and the autonomic nervous system, which controls usually involuntary visceral, homeostatic, glandular and circulatory activity.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

The human central nervous system is most complex object in the known universe. Science currently has a very primitive understanding of its operation. So powerful is this machine that its ultimate goal is to understand its own nature.

In time, neuroscience and computer science will be shown to be the same discipline.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.