The furthest town on Cape Cod, Provincetown was founded in 1727. If Cape Cod is a flexing arm, then P-town is the fist. P-town has become known in recent years as a "Gay Resort" spot, or as the "San Francisco of the East" for its large homosexual population. Many of the shops on the Main street have rainbow colored flags or stickers in their shops to show their friendliness and acceptance. The Main street itself is small and one way only. It is covered with little shops and restaraunts, if you go and visit, check out Cafe Blase, good stuff.

P-town, although founded in 1727, was an area of land used much earlier than that. The European explorer Gosnold recorded stopping in P-town as early as 1602, and in one of its harbors was the landing of the fabled Mayflower. The population of Provincetown grew slowly, and mostly depended on the fish and how well the fishing was. Aside from the fishing, there was not much in P-town, except some farms, salt works and a mill. However the town would boom between 1790 and 1830 and its population would grow almost 300%! By the middle of the 19th century P-town had become the prime maritime, fishing and commercial center on the Cape. Portuguese sailors settled down in P-town after the Civil War. More Portuguese immigrants would trickle in and work on whaling and coastal fishing boats.

Near the end of the 19th century, the beaches and salty air would attract artists and writers. As the art in P-town grew, so did the town. In 1915, a collection of poets, writers, artists and radicals joined together and formed the Provincetown Players in an old fish house on the wharf. However, hard times were just around the corner.

The fishing industry in P-town began to falter as the market turned to cheaper cod from Nova Scotia. This, combined with the Portland Gale of 1898, which washed away half of the town's wharfs, hurt the all important fishing industry.

Currently, Provincetown has a little under 3,500 year round residents. Provincetown can be reached by a ferry which leaves from Boston several times a day or by driving route 6 all through the cape. Provincetown, like many small towns in New England is loaded with history and with everything quaint. While it is known as a resort for gays, their presense is not excessive (ie guys aren't making out in street corners). If my parents have no problem walking around there, I don't think many will. P-town also has an old tower, which provides a very nice view. It's located near the main strip.

sources:
www.provincetowngov.org
www.state.ma.us/dhcd/iprofile/242.pdf