There are three main types of power, described by where they derive from:

Positional power

Positional power, or authority, is the power to exert control over the behaviour or actions of another person. This type of power is conferred by a position or role within an organisation. People respond to this kind of power because the person exerting it is able, by virtue of what they are, and the role they fill, to direct the behaviour of others and to ‘punish’ any resistance of the power. The use of this type of power is commonly associated with business managers, and authority figures such as policemen or teachers.

Personal power

Personal power or influence is the power to affect the behaviour of another person indirectly or intangibly. This type of power may be exerted by individuals irrespective of the position they hold or the authority they are able to wield. It is also often called charisma People respond to this type of power largely because they acknowledge the value of the relationship they have with the person exerting it, and understand that failing to respond may have a detrimental effect on that relationship. This type of power is associated with 'natural leaders' in all walks of society, but particularly with entertainers and politicians.

Knowledge power

Knowledge power is based in the expertise of the person using it. Like personal power it can be wielded by individuals with, or without any real authority, and it affects the behaviour and actions of others both directly, and indirectly through the application of reason and logic. People respond to this type of power because they accept the greater knowledge or experience the other person has gives them the right to guide the actions of others, in areas relating to their expertise. They are also inclined to listen to and emulate the expert out of respect for their expertise and success. This type of power is seen largely amongst scientists, sportsmen and specialists in all fields .