Bye-bye Tiger

Apparently, in Chinese superstition (which is of course much better than dusty old uncivilised upstart European superstition), the year of the animal in whose year you were born is particularly hazardous. I didn't find out about this until it was too late to take precautions. Here is what I recklessly got up to in the last dregs of that perilous Year of the Tiger 2010-2011:

Leaping Tigers (interesting stuff)

  • You can drag the menus around at Nodelet Settings to reorder your nodelets.
  • ... but if that's all you want to do, you can drag the nodelets themselves around by the title on most other pages, too.
  • If you check the 'Keep updating' checkbox in the chatterbox, E2 will keep it checked next time you open a page.
  • E2 will also remember if you turn WYSIWIG editing on or off, without a trip to the Settings page.

Sleeping Rabbits (less fascinating stuff)

  • In e2.ajax the 'wake' function is called when a page is loaded so it doesn't fall asleep too quickly under some circumstances when there are other pages open and not too much is happening. I shouldn't think anyone else noticed that bug, but you can't be too safe in a year like this.
  • Activity on the page is only monitored if there are active automatic AJAX updates.
  • Pages won't fall asleep too soon when another window has been opened in the background or if you switch quickly between E2 windows. Another one you missed, I shouldn't doubt.
  • The ReadThis nodelet has been de-cluttered. The lists of links in it are marked up with the class 'linklist'.
  • If we try to refer to a non-existent jQuery function via the e2() function, things will still work properly for Guest User. They will break for logged-in users. This makes sense because Guest User doesn't get the jQuery.ui extension, but we do want to know if something is broken.
  • When the Notelet nodelet is empty, there is a link in it to remove it. This uses the new e2.vanish() function, as now does the similar link in the Notification nodelet settings.

That last point was February the first, but that's still the Year of the Tiger, so that's OK.

Meanwhile

It's getting drafty around here...