It sometimes takes a drunk friend's latenight phonecall to make you realize the strength of a friendship...

12:01am
I was reclined on the couch, comfortably holding an airline blanket (you know, the thin, navy blue kind...), my tears began to well up. I was watching VH1's tribute to the people that lost their lives on September 11, 2001. The song choice, Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, was very fitting with the imagery that was displayed. I just couldn't help but to cry. I really needed the emotional release...

A quick aside: After the attack, I've felt the wierdest mix of emotions. I've been angered, confused, uncertain, hopeful, you name it. I've also become very numb. By the time the third day rolled around, I was tired of seeing the 24/7 live, via satellite, direct to your home, in your face coverage. Not that I'm cold and blackhearted; I just couldn't take it anymore...

*RING*. Who the hell would call me now? I answered the phone to find a very cheery and an obviously intoxicated friend. As it turned out, she and two other friends of mine were on their way up to Rochester to visit, yet another friend who attends RIT.

I should break off here to give you a little background... Somehow over the last year and a half I've switched from one group of friends to a different group of friends. I feel more akin to these people than I have ever felt with my school friends. The thing here is, they are all one year older than me. This year being the year that everyone went off to college, left me being stuck at home. It gets lonely sometimes; I'll admit that.

Ok, so on the way up to Rochester, their car broke down in Buffalo. By the way she sounded, I could tell that they were all fine, so I didn't bother to ask. "We smoked some pot before and now we've moved on to some rrrrrrrraspberry vodka," she told me quite proudly. Quickly followed up with (as drunk conversations tend to go), "I miss you Dys." (Yep, they call me by my 'net handle...) "We asked ourselves, 'Who's around to talk to now?' Even though I'm slightly drunk, I can still remember your phone number! We even made a song about it. Good times, good times. It was nice that you came up to Allegheny over Labor Day weekend. When are you going to come up again?" That made me smile. With everyone being away, I've been subconciously attempting to move away from them (I have no idea why. I really wish that I would not do that.). Hearing her say that made me realize the strength of a good friendship. Not one to talk alot on the phone, I just let her continue her stream of conciousness. She mused about how hard her Art History class is, how much fun our winter ski lodge acid trip was, and how much I need to come visit up at school. We discussed plans to go see The Recipe next weekend, and I pretty much made plans on the spot to go visit Allegheny the weekend after that.

It's those weird things that make you feel good. Even with the nation-wide unity that's going on, I still felt left out until 12:01am this morning. Maybe I'm being overly dramatic, but that made me feel one hell of alot better.