In a week's time, this node will be old enough to drink, and we can only imagine what it will be drinking--- probably some sweet wine while watching netflix under a pile of blankets. But I feel I should answer this rhetorical question quite seriously. And to do so, I will rest my argument on the cake and frosting principle. While it is fun to feel the creamy texture of frosting before biting into cake, sometimes we get a corner piece and feel our mouth overwhelmed by frosting. And as well, if you have ever tried to eat frosting straight from the can---well, lets just say it doesn't leave us with a feeling of pride or pleasure.

There are a few reasons why wearing pajamas all the time isn't as good as wearing pajamas some of the time:

  • Loose clothing can be just as uncomfortable as tight clothing. The looseness of pajamas doesn't cause a problem because we are usually wearing them at home, not acting, and usually sleeping. If we were in motion in our pajamas, and constantly having to pull them up and adjust them, it would get annoying.
  • Pajamas lack pockets. Mostly. Sometimes pajamas do have a small pocket, but they can't take anything of any weight, and if they do, they will often sag downwards, see above.
  • Pajamas might not actually be that warm. I know that pajamas might seem like the epitome of warmth and snugness, but we are usually wearing them in a warm, comfortable environment. Would they actually be substantial enough to protect us from a cold wind, and a rainy day, which brings us to...
  • Pajamas are not very weatherized, because as above, they don't need to be. That comfortable fabric that is so soft also has no protection against rain or mud. Even little drops of water and mud that might splash up from the street and be repelled my denim will turn that soft, fuzzy fabric of pajamas into a sodden mess. I have also noticed that my pajamas tend to pick up the odor of sweat more than regular clothing, although usually I am not sweating too much in my pajamas. But when I do, they often get grody quickly.
Pajamas as clothing face the dilemma of the Kantian bird who thinks that it could fly better without air. Those warm, comfortable pajamas that are so comfortable at home would turn into a sodden, slumpy mass of mud, chilly wetness and body odor if we were to try to wear them every day. Of course, some of these problems could be fixed, by adding more structure and resistant fabrics to our pajamas---but at that point, we have basically just reinvented clothing.