Sweat

In cookery, to sweat is to cook an item, usually vegetables, over medium heat in a small amount of fat until it softens and releases moisture.

The fat can be vegetable oil, such as olive oil or corn oil, or animal fat such as butter, lard, or suet.

Sweat (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Sweat or Sweated (Obs. Swat ()); p. pr. & vb. n. Sweating.] [OE. sweten, AS. swaetan, fr. swat, n., sweat; akin to OFries. & OS. swet, D. zweet, OHG. sweiz, G. schweiss, Icel. sviti, sveiti, Sw. svett, Dan. sved, L. sudor sweat, sudare to sweat, Gr. , , sweat, to sweat, Skr. sveda sweat, svid to sweat. 178. Cf. Exude, Sudary, Sudorific.]

1.

To excrete sensible moisture from the pores of the skin; to perspire.

Shak.

2.

Fig.: To perspire in toil; to work hard; to drudge.

He 'd have the poets sweat. Waller.

3.

To emit moisture, as green plants in a heap.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sweat, v. t.

1.

To cause to excrete moisture from the skin; to cause to perspire; as, his physicians attempted to sweat him by most powerful sudorifics.

2.

To emit or suffer to flow from the pores; to exude.

It made her not a drop for sweat. Chaucer.

With exercise she sweat ill humors out. Dryden.

3.

To unite by heating, after the application of soldier.

4.

To get something advantageous, as money, property, or labor from (any one), by exaction or oppression; as, to sweat a spendthrift; to sweat laborers.

[Colloq.]

To sweat coin, to remove a portion of a piece of coin, as by shaking it with others in a bag, so that the friction wears off a small quantity of the metal.

The only use of it [money] which is interdicted is to put it in circulation again after having diminished its weight by "sweating", or otherwise, because the quantity of metal contains is no longer consistent with its impression. R. Cobden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sweat (?), n. [Cf. OE. swot, AS. swat. See Sweat, v. i.]

1. Physiol.

The fluid which is excreted from the skin of an animal; the fluid secreted by the sudoriferous glands; a transparent, colorless, acid liquid with a peculiar odor, containing some fatty acids and mineral matter; perspiration. See Perspiration.

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread. Gen. iii. 19.

2.

The act of sweating; or the state of one who sweats; hence, labor; toil; drudgery.

Shak.

3.

Moisture issuing from any substance; as, the sweat of hay or grain in a mow or stack.

Mortimer.

4.

The sweating sickness.

[Obs.]

Holinshed.

5. Man.

A short run by a race horse in exercise.

Sweat box Naut., a small closet in which refractory men are confined. -- Sweat glands Anat., sudoriferous glands. See under Sudoriferous. <-- sweat suit. A suit comprising a top and trousers, having full arms and legs, used while performing physical exercises, esp. out-of-doors. Sweat equity. The rights to a portion of ownership or profit, hypothetically owned by a worker who participated in producing a product, such as in improving a piece of real estate. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.