Two things I've been told in life might apply here:

1) "Going to church has as much chance of making you religious and going to a garage has of making you a mechanic."

2 ) "There are a lot of chirstians, but not a lot of christianity."

I have found these both to be quite true form my own experience. I used to attend church regularly, but as i got older, I started to notice the politics going on behind the scenes. In this, case 1) above was evident. Many of the people higher up in this particular church attended regularly, but you very rarely saw them anywhere else! eg: didn't attend fund raisers, didn't help out after services and the like.

Also, the hypocrasy was more noticeable. The whole notion of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" seemed to go out the window. For example: many of the people round my age were getting affirmed, but I chose not to because I didn't belive I had the faith at that time to do it, and have it actualy mean something to me. After the others were affirmed, very few of them spoke to me. Point 2) above.

Again, I point out that this is my own experience, and that there are many good churches out there. This one turned me off religion as a whole, as I saw people preaching, but not practicing.

If you can stay true to your beliefs (no matter what they may be), then you have strength, and my respect.