Some thoughts on the state of the podcast

The Everything2 Podcast has now been running moderately successful for over a year, and I would like to start improving its appeal to the noder masses a bit. The most successful one, last year's christmas podcast, was downloaded 451 times. The other ones are averaging in the mid 250s. So, something is holding us back. What might it be? The choice of nodes? The readers? The audio quality? My introductions or my accents?

While 250 downloads per show aren't bad for our small corner of the internet, I would like to push that number up a bit, so I am going to try to broaden its appeal.

My first idea was to try to do themed 'casts. Pick an issue or a theme, and then try to build the show around it: daylogs, travelogues, European noders, music, finnish death metal. You choose it, I'll try it. That way the cast might gain some extra listeners who hadn't tuned in before.

Another issue is the acquisition of new readers: I really don't understand what's holding you (yes, you!) guys back: what is so damned hard to dedicate 10 minutes of your life to read your favourite node into a microphone? If you're afraid what your voice might sound like, don't be: Nothing can be worse than my mangled consonants and my weird vowels.

So, as usual I'd like some feedback. The most interesting ideas I'll be posting here on the daylog.

Let's consult!