The Panther is the name of the latest design of RISC based desktop computer using the Iyonix motherboard and by default running RISC OS 5.

Background

The Panther PC is the latest (May 2004) in the revolutionary line of RISC computers with their origins in the Acorn series of desktop PCs . Now largely forgotten outside the geek world the RISC computer was once seen as the future of computer technology. RISC allows for a comparatively slow processor to effectively perform as a much faster one. (My geek companions refused to believe my old 233Mhz StrongARM was anything less than a 700Mhz until I removed the casing). A key advantage of this approach is the low power consumption and running temperature of the processor, removing the annoying fan roar which plagues x86 based PCs and reducing wear and tear on the components.

RISC computers such as the Acorn Archimedes and Risc PC experienced huge popularity within the UK educational establishment and industry due largely to the reliability both of the hardware and the ROM-based OS, keeping power and maintenance costs to a minimum. This popularity led to the development of a host of educational and DTP applications being produced and meant that for a generation of UK users RISC OS was their first introduction to the world of Desktop Computing. Unfortunately for RISC computers the popularity of Windows within the business world led to the eventual adoption of Windows and x86 based architecture just about everywhere.

Sadly for fans of the now standard Pentium style of processor the current technique of shrinking the processor and upping the power has its limitations. The current generation of chips are approaching the absolute limit of size reduction. Trying to move the components any closer would allow quantum tunnelling to take place, electrons would simply jump through the insulation from one location in a chip to another. This would be bad. This effect can be countered by upping the power, but this would risk burn out of the tiny transistors that make up the chip. A new approach is required in order to meet the increasing demand for more speed.

Intel found such an alternative in the XScale processor. Based in essence on the StrongARM chip the XScale provides a 600Mhz RISC processor which is capable of providing lightening fast operations at only four degrees above room temperature. The production of the XScale allowed Castle Technology, owners of the rights to RISC OS to develop the Panther, taking full advantage of the features of the XScale to create a truly modern RISC based PC.

Panther Details

First Impressions- The Casing

The casing of the Panther is in essence a 20cm wide by 44cm tall 51cm deep black tower PC… but with some interesting features. The frontage is a streamlined metallic mirror door fitted with a small digital temperature gauge revealing the internal temperature. The front possesses power-on and reset control and easy access USB ports and audio. Also on the front is the cool panther-head logo. With the door swung open the drive ports are revealed. There is room for up to 11 drives, though the default configuration comes with floppy and 52xCD/rw.

Under the Hood- The Actual Stats

If you operate the easy access side panel (disturbingly described as Thumb-Screw access.) the interior gubbins are revealed to the prying eye. As there are very dramatic ways of describing the wonders of the printed circuit board and the solid state chip I shall present the following list for your reading pleasure

Stats sourced from Castle Tech press release available from http://www.iconbar.com