Who understands nightmares? Who truly understands? Who knows what it’s like to wake up night after night in pure terror? I’ve been told that nightmares are things you mind creates, subconscious images that you can’t repress in your sleep, ideas that shouldn’t have been, fears you didn’t know you had. But why? Why then would your own body, your own mind let them out? And why would it let them out when you’re at your most helpless?
Nightmares come in so very many different forms. It can be something obviously scary and heart breaking, like watching a loved one die and not being able to do anything about it, or being able to try but failing any ways, knowing you did your best. Or they can be creations, monsters that you’ve made in your head. Monsters\Monsters that can do what ever they want and you can’t stop them. Monsters have different types to. Some monsters are humans. Beautiful humans that you know are wrong, that you want to run from but at the same time you want to get closer, to touch them and play their games, dance with them. Some monsters are horrible, scary, dull and slimy, bumpy, unproportionate, horrifying creatures that you can see are wrong. And then in the nightmare the monster saves you, and you grow to like it, then the pretty other monsters kill it.
And of course the nightmares that don’t make sense. Like being flushed down a toilet, or the world is taken over by some sort of play dough, or you’re being chased by a puppy. What about the nightmares that make you scream and cry over something not scary or sad at all?
What about the nightmares that make you gasp when you wake up as if you had stopped breathing? The nightmares that when you wake up you can’t even scream your so afraid, the kind where you’re trying to scream but you can’t. What do you do when you wake up and no one is there? How do you deal with it when you scream and scream and no one answers? No one comes to see what’s wrong? When the people you’ve lived with your entire life can hear you screaming and they don’t care? When you’re too afraid to even move out side of the blanket? How do you deal with that? What do you do when that is what happens every time you fall asleep? You can try to stay awake, but eventually you pass out. Believe me, I’ve tried it.