In the role-playing game Shadowrun, simsense is the common term for a device that uses ASIST technology (developed in the mid-2020's by Echo Mirage) and direct neural interface devices like the datajack to transmit a sensory experience to the user, usually recorded on an optical chip. For the plebians (read- NPCs), simsense is mostly a form of recreation and/or way to escape the troubles of life; for shadowrunners and more professional computer-using types, it's the gateway to decking.

There are a number of varying levels of sensory stimulus. Baseline is the cheapest because it only replays the physical stimuli- someone going down on you, the impact of the concrete as you leap from a moving car, and the like. Full-X is the next level, as it is capable of replaying emotional parts- the casual disattachment of casual sex, the fear of knowing that the cabbie you had hitched with was out to kill you. The extra processing is more costly, but is also generally more provocative an experience.

The more powerful chips produce effects so powerful, they are as or more addictive than the street drugs of the late 20th century. BTL, an abbrieviation for Better Than Life (pronounced "beetle"), usually uses a high-volume ASIST output while directly stimulating the limbic centers of the brain. There are few limits to what kind of sensory experiences BTL chips provide, and they are almost always addictive to the point where the user will simply play back the experience time after time, ignoring the demands of food and water from his body. Most deckers run their ASIST systems at levels that are just below BTL ranges, which would explain the immediate and fatal nature of black IC. There are chips more powerful than BTL called 2XS, which usually only have to run once or twice before they kill the user outright.

Concepts similar to simsense are simex of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell and William Gibson's Neuromancer.