The worse aspect of having your wisdom teeth removed is not the procedure itself. While it is certainly not something to look foward to, having those bad boys pulled does not really hurt, thanks to the miracle that is anaesthesia. Whether they knock you out with nitrous oxide gas, or just numb up your mouth with novocaine, chances are good that you won't hardly feel it when they tear your teeth from their sockets. You will feel PRESSURE, not pain.

As soon as you step OUT of the dentist's office, however, you should prepare for unplesantness. First, you will most likely still be bleeding. Chances are good that your dentist stuffed your mouth full of gauze before you left, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to turn your cellphone off at this point. Try to accept the fact that, for the next couple of days, you will be forced to consume nothing but applesauce, yogurt, pudding, and jello. I don't reccomend you buy those meal-replacement shakes or PowerBar Gel. Trust me. You will probably remain numb for the remainder of the day. And that is a good thing.

A few tips. Do not spit, play wind instruments, or drink using a straw. All three of these actions interfere with the formation of blood clots. And that is bad. Also steer clear of citris juices --as they contain acid-- and carbonated beverages.

The following morning, you will wake up in pain. In fact, you will wake up BECAUSE you are in pain. If your doctor graciously prescribed percocet or vicodin (Although I received the former, I am told that that latter is sometimes given), take it now. You will spend the day in pain. Your jaw may appear as if it is swollen. This is because it is.

The next day, you will wake up in pain again. You will, by this time, be very sick of your soft/liquid diet. Take percocet and relax.

The third day is the same. It does not get better.

Which brings us to where I am now. I only have one day's dosage of percocet left. I am in pain. My breath stinks. My jaw is swollen. If you are planning on having this operation done soon, bear in mind that you will NOT be okay in two or three or even four days. Good luck!