French nobleman and author (1740-1814). Full name: Donatien Alphonse Francois de Sade. Sent off by his uncle at age 14 to join an aristocratic cavalry regiment of the Chevaux Legers. He fought in the Seven Years War as a teenager and witnessed many acts of cruelty and brutality visited upon villagers and fellow soldiers alike, in the guise of either strict military discipline or torturing captured prisoners.

After his service in the military, de Sade was accused of spanking a prostitute in his garden and pricking her with a knife. He denied the charges, and the woman agreed to drop the complaint if he gave her some money. Soon afterward, he was accused of poisoning a group of prostitutes at a banquet. Doctors who examined the women later did not find them to be ill or weakened by the alleged ordeal, but people preferred to believe the sensational story. De Sade suspected that the whole thing had been invented by his political enemies (he was an outspoken opponent of the church and the judicial establishment) and his wife's family (who had opposed their marriage). His wife left him, so he eloped with his wife's sister, and they left France. However, he was later forced to return to France to face the charges against him, and he was sentenced to prison.

De Sade spent seven years in the prisons of the Chateau de Vincennes and five years in the Bastille. After the French Revolution, he was imprisoned again by Napoleon I in Sainte-Pelagie for about three years and at Charenton for about eleven years, until his death in December 1814. In his will, he requested that he be buried in a densely-forested part of his estate and that his grave be strewn with acorns.

Despite the Marquis' reputation for debauchery and torture, it is believed that he expressed his desires mainly through his writing. Much of his work praised the natural human, whose only desires were food and sex and who despised civilized society, which de Sade saw as hopelessly corrupted by greed, perversion, and the lust for power. He often expressed the desire to go and live in the forests -- he once noted that he wished he could live among bears.