As Webster 1913 says, a perversion is most generally and accurately defined as a diversion from the true (or original) intent or object of a thing. Can be minor or massive, depending on how radical the diversion is.

When used as shorthand for "sexual perversion", this becomes relative to what one believes the true or original intent of sex is. Radical Catholics may believe it to include anything other than the missionary position, while radical liberals may argue that it only encompasses that which is not consentual.

perversion: a vernacular [pejorative] and legal term for paraphilia, now outdated in biomedical usage.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

Second full-length album by industrial techno-metal outfit Gravity Kills, Released in 1998 on TVT Records. This is altogether a pretty good album. The style is generally intense, pounding industrial dance music with pretty straightforward delivery and song structure. There a couple of slower, more contemplative tracks; Crashing is kinda funky, Wanted is full of airy singing over mad drumming, and album closer Belief (To Rust) is a big fat slice of ambient effects and whispering giving way to massive powerchords and anthemic vocals.

Some criticisms. There isn't all that much variety on the album. Aside from the aforementioned tracks, most of it sounds pretty similar; sometimes too much so. Also, its not a terribly original work. I'm sure pretty much everything on here has already been thought of before. Also, the lyrics pretty much suck. I mean, there's nothing wrong with the singing, Jeff has a reasonably good voice, its just that the lyrics for the most part have little to no meaning. I suppouse the lyrics aren't important, and the songs are just meant to be good dance music. Which, granted, they are.

Good CD, shame about the meaninglessness.

Rating: 6/10

Tracklist:

  1. Falling
  2. If
  3. Crashing
  4. Drown
  5. Alive
  6. Wanted
  7. Always
  8. One
  9. Disintegate
  10. Belief (To Rust)
Anyone who thinks the lyrics to this CD are worth noding remember: Don't Namespace Your Lyrics! :-)

Per*ver"sion (?), n. [L. perversio: cf. F. perversion. See Pervert.]

The act of perverting, or the state of being perverted; a turning from truth or right; a diverting from the true intent or object; a change to something worse; a turning or applying to a wrong end or use.

"Violations and perversions of the laws."

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.