noun: one who breaches societies rules, habits or accepted biases in such a way that the exact act of the breach cannot be described in polite company with also breaching societies rules, habits or accepted biases.

verb: for an individual, group or experience to corrupt an individual or group in such as way that they become perverted.

see also: perverts; perverted; I am not a pervert; sorry for being a pervert; thinking pervert;
compare: perverse;

In practice this pervert is a synonym for sexually perverse.


perverting the course of justice: verb: to knowing take steps to interferr with the outcome of legal proceedings. Typically by threatening witnesses, misplacing evidence, failing to disclose evidence, or similar. Hiding evidence prior to it's discovery by the police is not perverting the course of justice, that's being an accessory after the fact (disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice).

Per*vert" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Perverted; p. pr. & vb. n. Perverting.] [F. pervertir, L. pervertere, perversum; per + vertere to turn. See Per-, and Verse.]

1.

To turnanother way; to divert.

[Obs.]

Let's follow him, and pervert the present wrath. Shak.

2.

To turn from truth, rectitude, or propriety; to divert from a right use, end, or way; to lead astray; to corrupt; also, to misapply; to misinterpret designedly; as, to pervert one's words.

Dryden.

He, in the serpent, had perverted Eve. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Per*vert", v. i.

To become perverted; to take the wrong course.

[R.]

Testament of Love.

 

© Webster 1913.


Per"vert (?), n.

One who has been perverted; one who has turned to error, especially in religion; -- opposed to convert. See the Synonym of Convert.

That notorious pervert, Henry of Navarre. Thackeray.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.