Novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, published in 1902, in which Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are asked to investigate an elderly aristocrat's death -- he was apparently frightened to death by the ghostly hound that haunts the Baskerville family. As the last of the Baskervilles prepares to move into the ancestral estate, it becomes clear that someone -- or something -- wants him out of the picture, too. But for pity's sake, why would Holmes send that thick-headed Dr. Watson off to do all the investigating on his own?!

This is a good one -- probably the best and most popular Sherlock Holmes story. Holmes is at his deductive best, and Watson is as befuddled and courageous as ever. The mood is delicious -- much of the action takes place on the moors, and Sir Arthur's writing perfectly captures the dreary but beautiful look and feel of the area. Particularly outstanding is his terrifying description of the Hound itself; thanks to all the movies made of the book, most people know the Hound's real story, but none of those films has ever duplicated the unearthly horror of the demonic Hound chasing Sir Henry through the moors...

If you've never read this one, and if you enjoy detective stories, it'd be worth your time to pick it up and enjoy the thrills.