There are many different genres of fanfiction for many different tastes. Some of it is written by amateur writers, some of it is written by professional writers who like to moonlight. There are many pieces of fanfiction that are hardly legible, but there are an equal amount that surpasses many pieces of profiction in quality. Many devoted fans establish online fanfic archives where stories are available for anyone who wants to download them to read. Other fans publish non-profit fanzines and distribute them online and at media conventions.

All published fanfiction must include a disclaimer stating that the author does not own the canon characters featured in the story and that they are not profiting from the story in any way.

Within the world of fanfiction there are many different types of stories.

Gen fiction, which usually sticks to the canon established by the movie or show being featured in the story.

Crossovers which combine two different movies or shows.

Original Male Characters or Original Female Characters can be featured in a story. These characters are the creation of the author and not part of the movie or show canon.

Mary Sues feature the author himself or herself in the story.

Hurt/comfort stories have one character get hurt and another character must comfort him/her.

Smarm stories feature non-sexual affection between two characters.

Adult stories which feature various levels of erotic involvement between a male and a female character.

Slash stories which involve a homosexual relationship (not necessarily with sexual content) between two canon charcters.

I have publish a trilogy of stories online. They are archived at the Magnificent Seven FanFiction Archive found at http://www.cairdean.com/magnific/index.html. The titles are Time in a Bottle, Uninvited, and In My Life.