All outlets of the media can be an example of satire. Music is a huge medium for this sort of criticism. This is primarily exemplified in the genre of music produced in the 1960s and 1970s.

One of the most popular bands in the 60s- perhaps ever- were the Beatles. Satire is used in many of their songs, like the 1966 song "Taxman" from the album Revolver.

The song, written by guitarist George Harrison, is about taxes the Beatles faced recording in England. Many British bands of this time like The Rolling Stones or The Who escaped this taxation by recording in mobile studios or abroad. In "Taxman", Harrison takes on the persona of the Taxman in his lyrics -

"Let me tell you how it will be/that's one for you, nineteen for me/cuz I'm the taxman"

The lyrics exaggerate things the taxman carries out-

"If you drive a car/I'll tax the street/if you try to sit/I'll tax your seat..."

to get Harrison's point across. While it angrily condemns the greed of the British government, some lines in the song are more humourous than anything else.

This song also specifically points out two political figures-

"ah ah Mr. Wilson/ah ah Mr. Heath"

Edward Heath and Harold Wilson - two Prime Ministers. Edward Heath was a member of the Conservative party, and then joined the House of Commons. Harold Wilson was a member of the Labour party. The Beatles, being extremely liberal, didn't like to associate themselves with any political group, and many of their songs showed this ("Revolution", "Piggies", "Come Together")

In other words, George was pretty pissed off about making millions and only getting half of it. "Taxman" was his response. And clearly, H&R Block doesn't understand that the Taxman = bad.

CST Approved