The "vamp" was also a stereotype frequently portrayed in films of the 1910s and 20s. The first vamp film was A Fool There Was in 1915, starring the prolific vamp typecast actress Theda Bara.

The vamp's glamorous eroticism and destructive sexuality forecast the femme fatale of classic film noir, though vamps were inherently evil, and often supernatural to boot, as opposed to the femmes fatale, who were troubled, but still human. Vamps were oversexed, conscience-less homewreckers, luring weak men away from girlfriends, wives and families. While technically villians, vamps were nonetheless vicariously thrilling and liberating to watch.

As a visual stereotype, vamps often moved via the "vamp walk": shoulders down, knees bent, head facing in the direction perpendicular to movement, torso pointed diagonally and bobbing up and down. Vamp characters were usually not American, and were typically played by immigrants, particuarly Eastern Europeans. This led to associations of exoticism, and revealing costumes sometimes designed to evoke Turkish harems, Egyptian queens, or Gypsies. When in Western dress, vamps wore simple, slinky dresses with extravagantly long trains. They smoked cigarettes in long, elegant holders. And they wore very heavy eye makeup. Think of Man Ray's "Tears" photograph and you may have an idea of how heavy the eye makeup I'm talking about was.

Today it's easy to laugh at the image of a woman walking diagonally with her ass pointed out, and wearing mascara so thick that it forms visible spheres at the tips of her eyelashes. In fact, there is some debate as to whether the caricatured depiction of vamp sensuality made it a stronger or weaker threat to Victorian prudishness. But vamps really did smolder. The restrictive Hayes code of 1930 greatly reduced Hollywood's output of vamp films, but early Jean Harlow and Barbara Stanwyk films remained as vampish as could be achieved within the code.1



1Thanks to arcanamundi for post-Hayes vamp film info. She strongly recommends Babyface and Red-Headed Woman.

Sources:

www.filmsite.org/sexualfilms.html
www.unt.edu/inhouse/november162001/negrabook.htm
http://www.mont-alto.com/schedule/VampsNSpits.html
http://eclipse.barnard.columbia.edu/~sr354/sexuality.html