A new, comprehensive smoking ban went into effect today here in Seattle, Washington, and throughout the state. Just a month ago, voters passed Initiative 901, which prohibits smoking inside any public place and inside any place of employment, and within 25 feet of entrances, exits, open windows, or air intakes of such places. This initiative tightens restrictions begun in 1985 with the Washington Clean Indoor Air Act.

I voted against the initiative, because I almost always vote against initiatives. I believe we live in a representative democracy, in which elected officials should make the law, not advocates for a special issue. Advocates write laws heavly skewed toward their interest, while lawmakers have to hammer out a workable comprimise. I make an exceptions when I'm extremely agitated over the specific issue, but in this case the smoking ban seems a little draconian to me.

On the other hand, I am a nonsmoker and worry about family members who can't break the habit. Now that the initiative has passed and has become law, I'm looking forward to the cleaner air in local drinking establishments. Until today, I could count on my left thumbs the number of places into which I could discreetly pop into for a quick pint without my wife noticing the cigarette stink on my clothes.

The State of Washington has a website which explains the new law and provides links to resources to help people quit smoking: http://www.secondhandsmokesyou.com