I believe I've always tried to node for the ages. I may not be a Content Editor (although I dearly hope to be one day), or on EBU, I'd just like to say what E2 means to me, Joe Average Noder.


Date: 2022.

Scene: My son sits with his digital wallet on his lap, tapping away, surfing the Internet. He beckons to me.

"Look at this, dad," he says, "It's Everything5, it's a bit like in that book The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm looking up linked lists for my programming class."

"I know, son. I wrote that article 21 years ago."


It could happen. Man has always strived to achieve immortality - it drives him to procreate, it drives him to write and preserve his ideas for eternity. You can achieve this through Everything2.

You can write about the world, the things that affect and influence your life. You can write daylogs, documenting the minutiae of your existence. In 50 years, people are going to be interested in what the life of someone was like back on the 00's. You can write dream logs - and whoever said these just had to be about the dreams you had while sleeping - why not record your aspirations and hopes?

When your children look back here, they will see who you truely were - what it was truely like to be alive in this time. I think someone said this in a node elsewhere, and I'll say it again - I will not be ashamed of anything I have done here. Perhaps my children will shake their heads at my geekiness, or not appreciate my attempts at humour. But they'll admire me for not been afraid to write it all down, on display to the world.

You could write GTKYN. You could spend your time writing about E2 memes. Maybe, in 50 years, people will be interested in what cyberculture was like back in the year 2001 - after all, it evolves so fast. But if you really want to give more to the database than you take out, then you should strive to document the world around you. It's your world.

Preserve it.