When I came home tonight, my friends decided to be funny, and drop me off on the road. I live on a pretty busy road, so this is not very funny. However, since it was night, not too many cars were driving by.

Anyway, as I walked up the driveway, I heard an animal noise. Since my yard is very wooded, this is nothing new. However, on this particular night, this animal had no intention of moving out of my way to allow me to get into my house. This raccoon, who was pretty big and very furry and bushy, was probably as scared as I was, and didn't know what to do either. So he/she just sat there, in the middle of my walkway. Now, I am not the bravest person, and being stopped by a raccoon is not my idea of fun. Since I am sure not anyone with any sense of bravery, this is no large feat. But, apparently, I have not met with the Wizard of Oz yet; thus, I lack all courage with such things. So, I stood there, waiting for this creature to move. All the while, it sat there, waiting for me to move. It was a true face off of nature and man, or woman in my case.

So, after what seemed like forever, this monsterous raccoon who looked like he could eat me for dinner moved.... two feet. It went towards my door, not quite getting the picture that that is where I needed to be. As my patience began to run out, and my fear-factor began to increase, I plotted as to what exactly I could do.

I could run around the house; but then, Fear stepped in, making me wonder if the rest of his friends were waiting for some dinner as well. I could slowly back up, hoping he would carry on with his other "dinnerly" plans; but then, Impatience stepped in, recognizing the fact that it was already evident that Mr. Raccoon had no intention of hurry for the likes of me. So, Reality jumped in, alerting me that this was silly. I took one step forward. Mr. Raccoon took a couple swaggers to my left. Progress finally. I took another step. So did he. Finally, the walkway was clear from the beast, and I ran the rest of the way like a true girl!!!

As I grabbed for the doorknob, I realized it was locked. As I rang the bell to attempt to wake up my parents, Mr. Raccoon made his way around the bushes, and came up on the side of our porch. He was a sneaky little creature, who seemed intent on finding dinner. After what seemed like years, and several little raccoon scampers closer, my mom finally rescued me from the wrath of this nocturnal animal. I was safe inside, escaping a night of dinner from Mr. Raccoon and the rest of his eagerly awaiting family. Whew!