Moxie was invented in 1884, making it the oldest soft drink one can still buy in America. Made only in Maine, from the waters of Lake Moxie, it has developed the catch phrase "Moxie Makes Mainers Mighty," since, like most old tonics, it was originally marketed as an elixir, mostly because it is made from gentian root. The following of Moxie surrounds the town of Lisbon Falls, Maine, where Frank Anicetti is found in charge of his store, Kennebec's Fruit Store/House of Moxie selling all the Moxie paraphenilia one could ever need, as well as the world's only commercial source of Moxie ice cream. Frank also runs the annual Moxie Days festival, held the second Saturday in July, which includes a rather long parade, a town barbeque, and more bright orange clothing than you can shake a stick at.

Note that it is damn near impossible to get a 2-liter bottle of Moxie outside of Maine without ordering it specially.

Nutritional Facts:

  • Serving Size: 8 fl oz
  • Calories: 100
  • Total Fat: 0g
  • Sodium: 35mg
  • Total Cabrohydrates: 25g
  • Sugars: 25g
  • Protien: 0g

Ingredients (according to the bottle next to me) are as follows:

  • Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, natural and artifical flavors, caramel color, sodium benzoate (a preservative), gentian root extractives, phosphoric acid, caffeine, and citric acid.

Moxie is a registered trademark of the Monarch Company in Atlanta, Georgia.